Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Speleen test

My son is 'integrated' into his school classroom. Hmmm, sounds rather like a piece of equipment; bolted onto a machine. It's old news that he is 'integrated' into his school; but every once in a while it just hits me again how bloody low the bar is set for him. His little log book from the classroom aide reports that his task at school today was to give the spelling words to the other kids for a spelling test. THis means that someone else recorded the words into a computer, he hits his head on the button (I think, or maybe they held his hand and hit the button with his hand) and the word is blurted out for the OTHER STUDENTS to do their chores. Holy smokes, is that what my boy is worth in the classroom? He helps the other kids practice spelling, yet noone is asking him to try to speak, or use his hands? Only conductors have touched that path with him. Sigh. I could just pull my hair out, but then my hair wouldn't be 'integrated' with my scalp anymore. And my goodness, what would the ears and forehead think? Scandalous. Just plane skandullis.

2 comments:

Andrew Sutton said...

I love your new short blog title.

BC = Stone Age?

I have commented more fully elsewhere:

http://www.conductive-world.info/2010/02/you-couldnt-make-it-up.html

Andrew.

Jennifer Thayer said...

James!
I hate reading it!! Because I saw it- every day when I was a teacher of Early Childhood Special Needs (for 12 years before having King Roa).
These wonderful, brilliant misunderstood children whom the staff made little attempt, or had little time, or dealt with too many students,... to try and uncover the beauty within.
Frustrating read, James! Your precious son is so much more than that.